HOPKINS COUNTY, KY (8/30/13) - The Madisonville Elks Lodge building (pictured above) was erected in 1906 on the south side of Court Street. The upper floors were used by the lodge for their meetings and activities. The first floor was rented to various businesses, including a buggy shop, the post office, the library, doctor offices, and lawyer offices. The Jones Buggy Company sign can be seen on the lower window.
The included photo/postcard and historical information is courtesy of the Historical Society of Hopkins County (HSHC).
Additional historic photos and postcards, as well as county-wide historical information, can be found in Arcardia Publishing’s book, Postcard History Series: Hopkins County, which was compiled by the HSHC, local author Lisa D. Piper, and several area contributors.
To learn more about the HSHC, click here.
To read additional historical articles via the Sugg Street Post, visit our "Days of Yore" section by clicking here.
Sugg Street Post
Information/photo provided by the Historical Society of Hopkins County